Traditional Balinese Sweet and Spicy Tempeh
- -1 block of Tempeh (Cut into long cubes, about 1 inch length)
- -5 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
- -1 spring onion (thinly sliced)
- -2 pieces of long red chilies (thinly sliced)
- -1 tbsp palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- -1 piece of lemongrass (smashed)
- -2 pcs of bay leaf
- -2 pcs of lime (squeezed)
- -2 tbsp coconut oil
- -1/4 tsp salt
- -1/4 tsp white pepper
- Cut all ingredients.
- Heat oil (medium flame) deep fry Tempeh for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. (optional: add peanuts) strain until dry then set aside.
- Heat (medium flame) the coconut oil, add garlic and cook until slightly brown color, then add the spring onion, chilies, bay leaf, lemongrass, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds on low flame.
- Crumble the palm sugar and cook until melted, add lime juice and stir until blended.
- Add in the Tempeh (low heat) stir for one minute.
- The Sweet and Spicy Tempeh is ready to be serve!